The Fox and the Wolf

A wolf had taken a fox as his servant. The poor fox had enough of her master, but since the wolf was so much stronger than she was, she had no choice other than to serve him.

'Go and get me something to eat,' the wolf kept saying. 'Otherwise I shall eat you.'

On one occasion, the fox went to steal a lamb from the nearby farm, and, on another, to steal the cakes from the kitchen window ledge, and she always managed this without being seen. Everything would have been fine, if the wolf, greedy and careless as he was, had not himself gone to steal the other lamb and the rest of the cakes. He ended up being beaten with a sick, coming home empty handed and getting angry with the fox.

One day, the wolf said yet again, 'Fox, go and get me something to eat or I will eat you!' 'I know of a farmer's storeroom which is full of goodies! Sausages, hams, cheeses! I will show you.' replied the fox.

'Fine,' said the wolf, 'but this time you're coming with me! I don't want any more nasty surprises.' Off they both went, and, slipping through a small hole, they got into the farmer's storeroom. The wolf threw himself greedily at the food. The fox, on the other hand, ran to the hole before every mouthful, to be certain that she could escape if danger threatened. 'Why are you wasting all this time instead of eating?' the wolf laughed at her. 'I'm not leaving here until I have eaten everything!'

At that moment, the farmer, who had been disturbed by the noises, came into the storeroom with a stick. The fox, who was as thin as before, slipped quickly out of the hole and escaped. The wolf, on the other hand, with his stomach bloated, could not squeeze through and had to suffer a beating yet again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment