The fox and the Cockerel


A hungry fox was out looking for dinner one day when he came across a plump cockerel. The cockerel, however, was very quick in getting to the safety of a branch high in a tree. The fox pretended that he was hurt by such mistrustful actions.

‘Why have you run away?’ he complained. ‘I only wanted to give you a brotherly embrace.’

‘I am not so stupid as to believe that.’ replied the cockerel.

‘Ah, so you still haven’t heard the news?’ said the fox.

‘And what exactly should I have heard?’ asked the cockerel.

‘Peace throughout the world has been proclaimed between all animals,’ announced the fox. ‘And now that we’re all brothers, ‘he went on, ‘come down here so that we can show our love and goodwill.’

‘Well, I would never have believed it’ said the cockerel, pretending to be absolutely delighted. ‘In that case it would, without a doubt, be best of all to wait for that pack of hounds that I can see over there. They’ll certainly want to show you their affection.’

The fox looked very uncomfortable. He looked up at the cockerel and said: ‘It’s not that I’m not telling you the truth, It’s just that I can’t be sure they’ve heard the good news yet.’ ‘And he ran off as fast as he could.

0 comments:

Post a Comment