The Donkey And The Field Mouse

One day a donkey was eating from inside his stall, when a little field mouse caught his eye, and the donkey said, "Why not rest and visit for awhile?"

Then the mouse stopped, and looked at the donkey and said, "You're an old one aren't you, donkey? What have you done with yourself? Staying in this old stall, that seems forever, not getting out in these fields, out yonder. Be like me, and see the finer things in life."
The wise old donkey smiled, and said, "You are a curious little one, but I do have a tale to tell, that you'll never forget, so sit on the floor, and I will tell you more."

"For I was a young colt at the time, as my owner had me tied to a tree, when these chaps come along, and started unloosening me. I remember my owner was upset, and asked, "why are you setting my colt free?" Then I heard them say, "For our Lord has need of it," as they took me along their way."

"When I heard Lord, I thought this must be important, not really knowing what to expect. So they brought me to "their Lord", but I didn't expect such a simple gent, as people started gathering, shouting "Blessed is the King." I thought how can a simple man like this be a King; for He was poorly dressed, not wearing a robe, not even a crown, made of gold. I remember the chaps that brought me, laid their clothes upon my back, then they placed "their King" firmly on me, while singing praises to this man."

"I heard them say that we were riding into Jerusalem that day,so I was prepared to make the journey, thinking I was special in some sort of way. As we were walking, all these people started laying palm branches on the ground before us, an amazing site, I must say. And just before we reached Jerusalem; I heard this man weeping bitterly, saying words, that sounded as if He really cared for this city that He sees."
"But our journey had ended, and a tiring one, I must admit, but this is what the King wanted, and I didn't mind doing this for Him. And to this day, I remember when He stepped down, He came around and looked at me, as if to say a final fairwell, with eyes so kind and with great humility."

"After that I never saw Him again, although I heard rumors that He had died, and His name was Jesus; something about a cross, and how this King was crucified."

"So mouse, let me ask you this? Have you ever met a King, like I did? Probably not, so just be on your way." Then the mouse shrugged, and looked confused; as he scurried to the open fields, feeling sorry for the old donkey, and wondering if he was telling the whole truth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment